A sneak peek at a new e-book, British Infantry Swords of the Napoleonic Era, by Nick Thomas of the Academy of Historical Fencing.
U.S. Model 1904 Bolo Knife
Broad 12 inch blade marked U.S./34230 and SA/1913 with ordnance grenade. Brass-mounted grip. Brass-mounted leather scabbard with suspension loop. Reverse of scabbard with inspector’s initials and marked Rock Island/Arsenal/1912/H.E.K.
@pineapplepantsart The 1904 Bolo was designed for the Hospital Corps, so it probably wasn’t meant to be a fighting knife. According to The Springfield Edge;
The M-1904 Hospital Corps Knife was the first of the modern Springfield Armory made edged weapons to carry a serial number. Designed for use by the U. S. Army Medical Corps, over 40,000 Hospital Corps Knives were made at the Springfield Armory, Springfield, MA between 1904 and 1914, however, none have been found with the 1906 date. According to archive correspondence, the first 236 knives were issued without serial numbers, but at the request of the Surgeon General of the U.S. Army, the Springfield Armory began the serial numbering process with number 237 and continuing upward. Previously issued knives were recalled for numbering, but a very small number of knives without serial numbers have survived. The lowest known serial number is 264. Contrary to many stories, the knife was not designed for “field expedient amputations”, but the look in the novice’s eyes often make the tale worth the telling.
British Police Cutlass, 19th Century
The Marshall’s Office, Mansion House, London, Official’s Side Arm c. Mid 19th C, the 44.5 cm curved broad blade with single fuller and spear point is unmarked, ribbed black composition hand grip with stirrup shaped hand guard, quillon and back strap, this engraved with ‘Marshall’s Office, Mansion House, London No.5’, together with its black leather brass mounted scabbard.
This is the second cutlass from Mansion House to come to the market this month!
Mansion House is the home and office of the Lord Mayor of London. The Marshall’s Office may have been associated with the magistrates’ court which was located in Mansion House. I assume that a store of similar swords was kept there for whatever law enforcement officers were present at Mansion House.