Lance, pattern 1846, 1848.
Enfield manufacture, 1848.
At the time of the Crimean War (1854-1856) lancer regiments used the Pattern 1846 Lance. This type of lance would have been carried by the 17th Regiment of Light Dragoons (Lancers) during the Charge of the Light Brigade at the Battle of Balaklava on 25 October 1854. They were the only lancer regiment involved in the battle. In the spring of 1855 the 12th (Prince of Wales’s) Royal Regiment of Lancers came from India to join them in the Crimea.
The lance is 9ft long (2.74 m), with a wooden staff made from ash, a spear-shaped pointed steel lance head, which is attached to the staff by rivets, and a steel shoe fitted to the base of the staff. A red and white pennant would have been attached near the lance head.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum, London
National Army Museum, Study collection