The German MP-41,
During World War II the most popular German submachine gun of the war was the famous MP-40. Often nicknamed the “Schmeisser” by Allied troops, the name came from Hugo Schmeisser, a German gun designer noted for his many successful submachine gun designs. However Hugo Schmeisser had nothing to do with the design and production of the MP-40, despite popular myths. But with the success of the MP-40 design, Schmeisser decided he wanted in on the action.
In 1941 Hugo Schmeisser introduced the MP-41, a further successor to the MP-40. Schmeisser’s improvement of the MP-40 amounted to two main differing features. First and foremost, the MP-41 had a solid wooden stock, whereas the MP-40 had a folding metal stock. Finally the MP-41 had a select fire switch for semi automatic fire, whereas the MP-40 was full auto only. Everything else was the same, including the action, barrel, and magazine.
The military turned down a contract for the new submachine gun, although a number were produced for the German police. Some were also purchased out of pocket by SS units. Most were exported to Germany’s allies, most notably Romania, Hungary, and Bulgaria. After only a year of production, Erma Company, holder of the MP-40 patent filed a copyright infringement suit against Haenel, which manufactured the MP-41. Production of the MP-41 immediately halted, with only 26,700 being produced.